Saturday mornings at the Old Town Farmers Market have been one of Alexandrians’ favorite weekend activities for more than two hundred years! Locals and visitors alike go to browse the incredible array of vendors offering local produce, flowers, crafts, baked goods, and more.
Wandering the farmers market is a favorite pastime of several of our clients, and of ours, too. There is no better way to spend a sunny Saturday morning than walking around with a cup of coffee in hand and selecting fresh fruits, vegetables, bread, flowers, soaps, greeting cards, coffee, frozen pizza…the list of what’s available goes on and on.
In honor of the recent National Farmers Market Week and this eye-opening article by Thrive Market, we decided to share our top five farmers market picks.
1) Fresh flowers. Working with the wonderful Audra Gannon on my wedding flowers has had the added bonus of making me pay more attention to flowers in general. The Saturday morning farmers market has amazing arrangements and all kinds of bouquets, including bunches of sunflowers that are literally bigger than my face.
2) Candles. Capital City Candle Company, who sets up to the right behind the fountain, has hand-blended and hand-poured soy candles that burn for 65-75 hours. They offer specialized local scents named after King Street and Old Town’s gardens, and they recently stocked a Pumpkin Spice candle that smells heavenly. You can order personalization on these, making them great house-warming or hostess gifts.
3) Pop tarts. The people who set up at the long rectangular table toward the back of the plaza have an assortment of pastries that will make you swoon. They have seasonally decorated cookies (football helmets, holiday varieties, etc.) that taste just as good as they look, as well as an awesome array of other pastries and breads, but my favorite thing they offer is the pop tarts! These are the perfect treat and come in a lot of flavors. My current go-to is the strawberry lemonade, but I’m sure I’ll crave something different as we head into fall!
4) Fresh juice. Senzu Juicery sets up close to King Street and sells juices with locally sourced ingredients (and no added sugar) that make you feel healthy and amazing. The Detox juice is my favorite and the Activated Greens is a close second, but I hear the Relax juice is also very popular.
Thursday’s farmers market
5) Brazilian brigadeiros. Don’t miss the new farmers market at Montgomery Park from 3-7pm every Thursday! The Thursday market is much smaller than the Saturday market but still supplies produce and baked goods. Even if it didn’t, though, it would still be worth going for the mouthwatering brigadeiros by My Lovely Brigadeiro. They are made with condensed milk and chocolate and come in flavors like salted caramel, coffee, and peanut butter.
Support local commerce and help the environment by heading to the Old Town Farmers Market on Saturday mornings or Thursday afternoons. There’s a great market in Del Ray on Saturday mornings, too, that offers enough variety from the Old Town market that it’s worth your time to stop by both!
The Patterson Group is one of the most experienced and trusted real estate teams in the area, serving Alexandria, VA for over thirty years. We offer professional, hardworking, detailed and friendly service and a large network of contacts and resources accrued over our many years in Alexandria real estate. Comprised of seven Alexandria locals, six of whom are licensed realtors and three of whom are accredited staging professionals, The Patterson Group is passionate and knowledgeable about Alexandria, VA and here for all of your Northern VA real estate needs. Allow us to help you find your home here and discover all that the Alexandria lifestyle has to offer.
400 South Washington Street
Alexandria, VA 22314