You know when you plan to do something super exciting and then just… can’t find the time to execute it? Welcome to my life. I’ll let you in on a little secret: this week’s reveal has been a long time coming, but we are so thrilled to finally announce…
We started a line of engagement style rings! That’s right, starting this week, you can shop our house-designed line of customizable engagement rings online and in our store. After functioning largely as bespoke jewelers (meaning, each design we create is exclusive to that client, not to be replicated again), we decided to offer a collection of Alx&Co. designs that can be customized to your own fit and gemstones. This collection perfectly complements our vintage and antique rings and shows the wide variety of styles we can custom design. We’re so thrilled with the result.
These designs offer a quicker experience for clients since we don’t need to start from scratch for each style. We created this collection to span our favorite time periods for jewelry design and tried to include details in each ring that could be easily customized based on a unique client’s desires. For example, prong shapes can be changed, or perhaps you want a round diamond instead of an oval, or maybe you don’t want diamonds down the shank – all of these changes can be done simply so that you can have a bespoke ring without undergoing a complete custom design workup. If you choose a design from this collection, we can shorten your design process by up to five weeks!
We’re debuting our collection with six designs, and each tells its own aesthetic story…
1. The Nora – This beauty is based on a modified Victorian style that we updated with small claw prongs and a more open gallery. I love this style for its antique feel, but it carries an updated aesthetic that makes it very wearable for a modern bride.
2. The Emma – Featuring tapered diamonds down the shoulders, this gorgeous Edwardian-influenced design aims for grace and detail. We updated the style a bit by setting the oval diamond horizontally, but it would work just as beautifully in a more traditional layout.
3. The Wiley – This design is actually based on a family ring of mine that I love. Featuring an Art-Deco windowpane style, we added diamonds to the edging to make it sparkle even more. I love the impact this ring has – it’s a showstopper!
4. The Kathryn – This cluster-style ring brings a ton of sparkle but maintains a minimalist, clean aesthetic – the perfect combination, if you ask me. It’s a more modern look and perfect for the bride who likes a big impact without a lot of fuss.
5. The Danielle – A contemporary design featuring pave-set diamonds down the shank, we love the way the light picks up on this beauty.
6. The Ruth – A personal favorite, this Art Deco stunner features a gorgeous octagonal setting and showcases all the finest qualities of this timeless period. The clean architectural details combined with delicate accents balances out to a simply stunning design. Love.
Love a design just how it is? They’re all available for purchase, too! Each ring is set in recycled 18k yellow gold or platinum and we chose ethically sourced gemstones for each design. Some rings feature recycled diamonds, some feature Canadian diamonds, and some feature lab diamonds. As always, everything is designed and set in-house, right here in our Old Town studio.
We are so excited to share this new line with you and hope you love these rings as much as we do. Make an appointment to see them in person or shop online!
Alexandria & Company is an Old Town-based workshop and design studio specializing in creating and restoring fine jewelry and silver hollowware. They are the in-the-know jewelers of Alexandria and have been serving clients out of their small workshop for decades. Tucked in their historic building on South Royal Street, the team at Alx&Co. brings a personalized, modern approach to their craft – this is not your average stodgy jeweler or antique shop. Visit them during their walk-in hours or online to view their collection of handmade fine jewelry or to drop off a repair project; or, if you’re feeling creative, make an appointment to talk about that custom design project you’ve been imagining.
121-B South Royal Street
Alexandria, Virginia 22314
Design Studio Walk-In Hours (all jewelry services): Wednesday – Saturday 12-6pm
Silver Workshop Walk-In Hours (all silver repair and restoration services): Wednesday or Friday 12-6pm, or by appointment
Appointments encouraged for custom design.