Being at home with littles during a global pandemic presents certain challenges you cannot really anticipate or prepare for. Survival mode is activated. And while we don’t have the answers to how to create a more serene quarantine, we do have some gift ideas that will hopefully help keep the kids entertained while these seemingly lengthier winter days move along.
We have so much fun stocking our kids’ section with art supplies, toys, books, games, and experiments. It was hard to narrow it down, but here is a sampling of our favorites at the moment, all available at redbarnmercantile.com.
1. Give them an easy intro to working with watercolors with this versatile set of 24 watercolor pencils. They can color in an area with the pencil, then brush over it with water to create a beautiful watercolor effect. (Squirrels & Bird Water Pencils, $21)
2. A super soft, abominably adorable, fluffy friend to make believe with. (Yani Yeti, $40)
3. Loaded with darling pendants, tassel charms, assorted beads, one brass locket, and approximately 60″ of gold plated ball chain, this DIY kit makes at least eight pieces of jewelry with extra parts to spare. A great activity for kids. (Jewelry Charm DIY Kit, $30)
4. This 100-piece puzzle features children in traditional clothing from nations around the world to honor and celebrate diversity. Each letter of the alphabet is represented by a country from all over the world that begins with the same letter. A fun and beautiful way to expand horizons and nurture curiosity about the world around us. (Children of World 100 Piece Puzzle, $18)
5. The entire family will get a kick out of this tabletop soccer game. Stylish and minimal, it features natural rubber wood construction. A classic, battery-free game, it’s simple for little ones to learn and tough for them to tire of. Great for one-on-one or team play, it helps develop key skills, such as concentration and coordination. (Soccer Game, $112)
6. Look at those rosy cheeks! Surprise your little one with Ralph the elf this Christmas. He’s made from soft knitted organic cotton and is perfect to hug and play with. (Ralph the Elf, $59)
7. Hours of goo in one small box. (Glow Putty, Gels, and Slime Kit, $22.50)
8. The easy make and bake eraser kit where you can shape your very own eraser. Create any kind of cool shapes, characters, or whatever you want your eraser to be. (Creatibles Diy Eraser Kit, $15)
Believe it or not, this year will eventually end. Next month is 2021! We’ve been so preoccupied getting through each individual day that they’ve managed to pile up and vanish, leaving us all with a sense of needing a hard reset. And so, we bring you gift ideas from Penny Post that will get you off on the right foot.
1. Naturally, a planner. Every new year needs a new planner and this planner is beautiful, undated, and will try its darndest to help them stay focused and organized. (Bugs Planner, $27)
2. A new year’s greeting that nods to what a mess 2020 was. (Fresh New Year, $6.50)
3. For staying hydrated, which should be a part of everyone’s new year’s resolution. (Day Off Tumbler, $40)
4. A vaccine is coming and we will all once again be able to make plans and set goals. Be ready! (Goalbook, $30)
5. Some flair to set the tone for the vibe one wishes to give off in the new year. (“Weird But IDGAF” Patch, $8)
6. What better way to start the day? (RBG Badass Mug, $25)
7. New pen, new year. A gorgeous brass fountain pen to make filling out fresh planners and writing notes to friends feel a bit more special. (Brass Sport Fountain Pen, $110)
I don’t think you’ll find anyone who isn’t eager for the new year to begin. Hopefully these gift ideas help provide a sense of delight, creativity, and perhaps optimism as we begin 2021.
Penny Post is a paper goods store offering witty and sophisticated greeting cards, notebooks and note pads, pencils and pens for the novice and professional alike, desk accessories and office supplies plus wrapping paper bags, ribbon, party supplies and balloons.
1201 King Street
Alexandria, VA 22314