Over the last few weeks, many of the COVID restrictions and social distancing that took our profession nearly a year to get accustomed to have been lifted, seemingly without warning. True to our closing, we have been offered zero guidance or insight on what this should look or feel like, although there is no shortage of opinions about what people think we should be doing.
As restaurants scramble to accommodate your “Hot Vax Summer, “I can promise you as we transition again, you can expect slow service, incorrect orders, menu shortages, rising prices, and a general sense that we are overwhelmed. For myriad reasons, hiring is a real struggle, and our costs are rising, supply chain shortages continue, combined with a general lack of practice, we are, in fact, overwhelmed.
With our entire staff fully vaccinated, after 15 months, we are going to open the dining room at Stomping Ground for weekdays only, Tuesday – Friday, 7am to 3pm. Starting Wednesday, June 16.
Volume demands force us to continue Saturday and Sunday as outdoor/online/take-out service. This includes dinner at The Alley.
Our Policies (that will surely change):
• Please wear a mask when walking about the space or engaging with anyone on our staff. Yes, it might just be for optics, but we aren’t emotionally ready for 50 unmasked patrons milling about our tiny space. Sorry, not sorry.
• If you are dining outside or getting your food to go, please use our to-go window so we can limit the amount of customers in the dining room at a time.
• Seating is first-come, first-served. If we are out of seats, we will not allow more guests into the dining space. Please feel free to find a seat outside.
• Once you have found your seat, please do not move. That includes moving from outside to inside.
• Do not add chairs or change our dining arrangement in any way.
• We will be resuming counter service; orders must be placed before you find a seat. You cannot “hold tables” for your remaining guests.
• Please, from the bottom of our hearts, this is still not the time for online reviews. If you have feedback or a complaint, present it at the time of your discontent and allow us the opportunity to make it right. If you are uncomfortable with person-to-person confrontation, our email address is email@example.com.
Thank you for all of your patience and patronage. We would not be here to make up snarky rules and policies without you. We are truly grateful, despite it all.
If you wander down Del Ray’s, “The Avenue,” you won’t miss the farm-red building with a rustic fence bordering the patio. Stomping Ground opened two years ago and quickly became popular for its made-from-scratch biscuits and its neighborhood vibe. On weekends, excited guests line up before Stomping Ground opens hoping to be the first to get a just-out-of-the-oven biscuit or a fresh salad. Stomping Ground is mostly known for its fast casual breakfast and lunch but on Thursdays and Fridays they provide a full dinner service after 5:00pm. All meals are built from local, seasonal food that is organic whenever possible.
2309 Mt Vernon Avenue
Alexandria, VA 22301