Happy New Year! Here at Alx&Co. we are back at work after a week off and we are more excited than ever to share the next year with you. To get things started, I assembled my top five wedding trends for 2020, and here’s a hint: we’re in for a very special year of ring designs!
2020 is all about the gemstone again. We’ve fluctuated in and out of heavily vintage-inspired rings (which will always remain an elegant choice) and are now moving steadily in the direction of clean designs featuring a main-stage center stone. We’re seeing fewer halos and less engraving with brides opting for a more clean-cut approach to their rings. Though, rings aren’t necessarily moving in the solitaire direction: tapered baguettes, custom-cut sapphires, and other classic options dress up things perfectly.
1) Yellow Gold: I am quite excited for this trend shift since I personally prefer yellow gold and I love the contrast between a gorgeous white diamond and a deeply-lustered yellow gold setting. One important aspect to remember about yellow gold is that it can play into the color of your diamond…and this can be a good thing or a bad thing. Sometimes the warmer hues in the setting bring out yellow in a diamond, and sometimes the setting’s deeper yellow saturation actually makes the diamond look whiter. It’s another reminder of why it’s important to pick your diamond in person with a professional who can walk you through how the color will play in the ring.
2) Asscher Cut Diamonds: We love Asscher-cut diamonds here at Alx&Co. Tim considers this cut to be one of the prettiest and I particularly love the clean-cut aesthetic of this style. It pairs beautifully with Art Deco-inspired designs (like here) or it can wear gracefully as a solitaire. Asscher-cut diamonds are a bit unforgiving in their faceting: you really need a diamond with very few (if any) inclusions, great color, and nearly perfect cut to show them off well. So, choose well and again – take a look at the diamonds in person! The smallest change in grading can make a big difference in the look.
3) Alternative Gemstones: Another trend I am definitely here for is of brides opting for alternative gems to the traditional diamond. While not for everyone (but what is?!), we love black diamonds for their cool, understated vibe. Plus, black goes with everything so it’s the perfect choice for an alternative gem that won’t clash with your clothes. Opt for a rose-cut style like what we made here and really blow her away.
4) Statement Shapes: Marquise, pear cut, and ovals have come back bigger and better than ever. Done right, these shapes can be timeless and elegant: we recommend a clean-cut setting with minimal detail and perhaps accenting that marquise with some tapered baguettes like shown here. These shapely stones are eye-catching on their own and don’t need a lot of dressing up to make them shine, so they’re the perfect choice if you want something different yet simple.
5) Multi-Diamond Rings: *Perhaps* it has a little something to do with a certain someone getting royally engaged with a gorgeous three-diamond ring, or perhaps it’s just because this style is timeless and elegant and extra-sparkly. You be the judge, but we’re happy with it, nonetheless. Our recommendation here is, again, see the diamonds in person before committing to them. A professional should sit down with a few sizing options and color grades so that you can pick out exactly the alignment, proportion, and color matching that you love. The devil is in the details with this style, so take the time to get it right!
Of course, we’re available for custom consultations to walk you through everything from picking out a diamond to designing the perfect setting. Make an appointment to see how we work!
Alexandria & Company is an Old Town-based workshop and design studio specializing in creating and restoring fine jewelry and silver hollowware. They are the in-the-know jewelers of Alexandria and have been serving clients out of their small workshop for decades. Tucked in their historic building on South Royal Street, the team at Alx&Co. brings a personalized, modern approach to their craft – this is not your average stodgy jeweler or antique shop. Visit them during their walk-in hours or online to view their collection of handmade fine jewelry or to drop off a repair project; or, if you’re feeling creative, make an appointment to talk about that custom design project you’ve been imagining.
121-B South Royal Street
Alexandria, Virginia 22314
Design Studio Walk-In Hours (all jewelry services): Wednesday – Saturday 12-6pm
Silver Workshop Walk-In Hours (all silver repair and restoration services): Wednesday or Friday 12-6pm, or by appointment
Appointments encouraged for custom design.